60 dead, 400 Injured in multiple serial blasts in Sri Lanka
60 dead, 400 Injured in multiple serial blasts in Sri Lanka
Blasts in Sri Lanka
![]() |
| Bomb blast in Sri Lanka |
In Sri Lanka, at least 60 people have been killed and over 400 injured in a series of bomb explosions targeting five-star hotels in capital Colombo and churches across the country.
The explosions happened in Shangrila, Kingsbury and Cinnamon grand hotels in Colombo where several foreigners are suspected to be among the deceased. There were bomb explosions at St. Anthony's Church in Colombo and other two churches in Negombo and Batticaloa.
The attacks happened around 9 AM in morning when the churches were organizing Easter mass while services were organized at the hotels. No organization has claimed responsibility for the attack so far. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremsinghe is holding emergency meeting to review the situation.
Police has rushed to all affected areas and sealed off the churches and hotels. Public has been advised to keep away from the incident sites and not to overcrowd hospitals.
All leave of police officers have been cancelled and security agencies put on . This is the biggest such attack in Sri Lanka since the war against LTTE ended in 2009.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has said she is in constant touch with the Indian High Commissioner in Colombo. In a tweet, she said, New Delhi is keeping a close watch on the situation following multiple explosions hitting churches and hotels in Sri Lanka.
![]() |
| Sri Lanka serial bomb blast |
At least 60 people were killed and more than 400 other injured after six near simultaneous blasts hit three Sri Lankan churches and three five-star hotels on Easter Sunday.
These are the first major attacks since the end of the civil war 10 years ago. According to local reports, the blasts in hotels and churches in different parts of the country occurred at around 8.45 am (local time) as the Easter Sunday masses were in progress in churches.



Post a Comment